A group

Hello!

I suppose that 99,999999% of you know powerpoint. And if you do, then you maybe know that you can group two or more objects (circles,pictures…) into one “body”. And then they are locked into eachother. Is there a way you can do so in codea?

Sorry miss read the question!

I’m that 0,0000001% then.

What’s powerpoint?

There is nothing native that simple.
But…
You can draw things into an image (setContext) then they are locked and you can move, rotate, resize the image.
Or you can group your drawings into 1 function myGroup(). All scale(),rotate(),translate() done before calling myGroup will apply to the drawing.
Or you can wait some time, Simeon is baking some juicy cake for you…

There is something pretty simple. All you have to do is have an x and y variable for the group. Then, in the draw function, you use the translate() function to translate the position of the objects you’ll be drawing to the center of the ‘group’. Finally, you then draw your objects relative to the group point.
I’ve been (slowly) making something similar to Simeon’s Juice library, but SOO much more powerup and simple. It also has physics built in. I think I’ll add groups to that thing too.

Woops sorry I misunderstood what you meant by grouping.

@Jmv38 @Zoyt You could use your approaches or you could create a mesh, and scale / translate the mesh :slight_smile:

@Andrew_Stacey PowerPoint is a Microsoft program for creating presentations using text, graphics, video, and audio.

Hm… thanks for replying! Well, i am gonna look into what you said. Seems simple when thinking if it, but i am gonna try those i understand.

@SkyTheCoder Thanks for the explanation.

Sounds awful, though. Who’d want to sit through a presentation with all that lot going on? Or do you only put in “graphics, video[,] and audio” if you don’t actually have anything to say?

I think I’ll stick to my chalkboard.

@Andrew_Stacey It is very much. It’s equally as tedious to create and present one as it is to sit through one :slight_smile:

You either get to be bored to death by generally someone who doesn’t really know what their talking about stumble through reading bullet points strait off the presentation (as if you couldn’t read them for yourself) or you get to watch people fall asleep as you try and actually provide some real and useful information which is summarised by your bullet points :slight_smile: so you can’t really win.

The only good ones I’ve seen have been where the slides are for code :smiley: the graphics for uml and the videos for demonstrating what the code does and I guess you could use the audio for sudden loud noises to regain those people’s attention, who don’t like code :wink:

Lol @XanDemoX.
No no no! I can let you say that! It is exactly as with good teachers and bad teachers. Bad ones are as you describe, and good ones are fantasttic. I can swear nobody sleeps during my powerpoint presentation: it is just a tool, but a really a good one. It is like ‘keynotes’ one Mac.

@Jmv38 I spy a strawman!

The key question is whether one of these “powerpoint” thingies makes a teacher (or whatever) better than they would be without it or worse. That there are good teachers who use it is not relevant. Maybe they’d be even better if they didn’t. Would it make me better if I did?

From the description, I would guess that it takes a lot of time to prepare one of these. Surely that time would be better spent thinking about the content and not on the mode of delivery.

Actually, it’s all too easy to use Powerpoint, and it’s a good tool, IMHO. The problem is people are not trained to use it well.

I have seen exactly the same problem for the past 25 years in spreadsheet use. Far too many beginners with poor skills, who think they are experts because they know more than the people around them. And, unlike the people in this forum, Excel users - almost without exception - have little or no interest in improving their knowledge or skills. I know because I’ve been fighting against that apathy for decades.

The way business trains most people is to get the 2nd most junior person to train the most junior - but only in what is needed to get today’s job done. And formal training courses are occasional and usually pathetic, taught from a book. You can imagine the rest.

To jump on the powerpoint bandwagon… it’s only benefit is that you can write the stuff ahead of time, so in a meeting you don’t have to spend time writing on a board.

The benefit of just writing it during the meeting, is it forces you to be focused on only writing things that are useful.

So the risk of using powerpoint and gaining it’s benefit is that because you are doing it ahead of time, then you can easily write too much which is counter productive.

I’ve never used Powerpoint during a meeting to take notes!

Anyway, Powerpoint is way better than the old system of overhead projectors and transparencies…

So “powerpoint” is just a way of displaying a document on a screen. @SkyTheCoder made it sound a bit more whiz-bang than that. (And @Jmv38 I’m guessing that “keynotes” is the Mac version of it; please don’t confuse an ageing brain by throwing in more!)

@Ignatz I think that spacemonkey meant that the benefit of writing directly on the board during the meeting was being focussed, not the benefit of writing using powerpoint during the meeting.

ah, well, Powerpoint is mainly used for talking at people

@Andrew_Stacey - no a projector is a way of displaying a document on the screen. PowerPoint is the program for writing the document you want to display on the screen and provides a means of transitioning between the “pages” or “slides” in that document

@West or in German, beamer. Yes, I meant that powerpoint was the program that put it on the screen “in a nice way”; I presumed that it had a nice fullscreen mode and the like. “transitioning” sounds awful, but that might just be as it sounds like something that would feel at home with phrases such as “impacting” and “blue sky thinking”.