A entire project made by the community

Hmm… Sounds cool, but I can’t think of too many differences between that and a normal calculator.

@SkyTheCoder It has some similarities, but I don’t know to many calculators that can do real-world problems.

I was working on a calculator called ScriptCalc that would let you write small Lua scripts, with only access to the math API, string API, and table API, with a custom console and easy input from the user.

I didn’t get too far in. What if we continued that?

@SkyTheCoder Great idea!

@Prynok - the ultimate calculator has already been built.

Look at the WolframAlpha app, it is utterly awesome.

@Prynok - coming back to the original suggestion of a group project, there are a number of real world problems with attempting this (and I’m not being negative in saying this), including

• keeping control of everyone working on it and preventing changes that clash with or break existing code, and resolving disagreements over direction
  • the code quickly becomes too complex for new people to follow, so you end up with just a few people who know how it works
  • it depends on people’s availability, and almost everyone has school or a job, so there will be holdups

It may be better to provide a sandpit that people can play in. A good example is the Pushball game that Jmv38 wrote, where you can write your own rules for one of the teams and see if you can beat the computer. Or a competition of some kind.

But I think any large scale project is going to be extremely difficult.

@Prynok Can you make a PM with all of us included so we could share code and updates?

Be sure to add me

@Ignatz I see what your saying, and while I’m pretty sure I’ve got the “the code quickly becomes too complex for new people to follow, so you end up with just a few people who know how it works” one figured out, there is still a chance it might break. I will try to see what I can do.

@Ignatz @Prynok Solution: Looooooots of comments.

Or my idea…

@Prynok, with your calculator idea, I tried making an Algebra solver (I was fed up with doing Algebra in class, I’m good at maths, but it’s just too long, and I wanted a way of checking my answers). I finished the engine (somewhere) but I got fed up with the graphics, but it was a really fun project. I learnt a lot about strings and patterns :slight_smile:

So, to recap, everyone who’s in:

@Prynok
@CodeaNoob
@stevon8ter
@JakAttak
@Jordan

@SkyTheCoder, I would be honoured to!

Sorry guys, I don’t have the time at the moment. Codea Community as well as other projects are keeping me busy. I’d be happy to help if you guys get stuck.

I’d love to, but I don’t have the time (ever). In the combination of the development of the 2D version of my app, 3D version in Unity, school, and my social life in the little leftover time, I’m crammed. Sometimes sleeping doesn’t fit in there.

@Zoyt What about when you’re done with your app? (Or you stop and take a breath?)

@SkyTheCoder - Haha. v1.0.1 and v1.1 is in the developments already. That and the 3D version. Anyways, if you could release more detail on the project, I might look into it on my procrastinating time. If I were to join, my main job would probably be the Obj-C add ons, some other small stuff, and marketing when it comes time.
Also, here’s some ideas on how to execute this project:
This would all be done in the Codea runtime, so we’d export an empty project, store it on DropBox, share it with each other, then we can edit it. We should also all use the same editor, even though it doesn’t make that much of a difference. I’d suggest Sublime Text.
Just my idea. So I guess I’m in, I just won’t be committing a lot of time into it.

If you are doing a calculator app then feel free to ask me about maths stuff.

@SkyTheCoder - no, I’m not in. I’m sure a calculator is good practice, but like I said, WolframAlpha has set a very high standard - and I want to work on other stuff at the moment.