3D FPS movement code—improved!

@SugarRay CraftSpaceX is available on WebRepo now! :smile:

Currently processing your underwater one but I’m hoping it should work too.

@SugarRay Turns out GitHub has some problematic file and repository size limits (100MB max. file size). I can split large files into smaller ones but we then hit a maximum commit size on the backend instead. In hindsight GitHub probably wasn’t the best choice :lol:

I’ve started working on a new backend hosted on a private server (with a docker container I’ll make freely available) that will hopefully use a public Google drive folder for project storage so sizes should be far less of a concern. I’ll let you know when it’s all in place.

Thanks for the update, @Steppers. I think from dave1707’s experience if you did get a bigger folder and are able upload the SeaBottm demo that I should put some sort of warning on it that needs a certain memory size to run? (Or perhaps not post it—wasn’t expecting to potentially run into RAM limits with Codea projects and not sure if the expectation should be that if on WebRepo all iPad configurations should be able to run the project?)

Great, thanks, @Steppers!

@SugarRay Loaded your SeaBottom code. I connected my iPad to the hotspot on my cell phone and it loaded a lot faster. My hotspot speed is about 10-15 times faster than my iPad internet speed. The only problem was after I loaded it in Codea and tried to run it, it would crash Codea. Tried several times, same result. Not sure if it didn’t load right or what. I’ll try the whole process again later. I’m using a 64GB iPad Air 3 with 36GB available.

PS. Reloaded everything and it still crashed. When I look at the project in the Files app, it takes up 475.3 MB.

Thanks for trying it out and letting me know, @dave1707. I’m running it on an M1 iPad Pro. It is that large of a file— I wonder if it an iPad Air 3 is not powerful enough to render such a large 3D model in Codea? Will see if others have trouble running it on a non M1 iPad Pro— might then let me know not to distribute (or put a warning) on any demos with such large 3D models. On the other hand, is it possible there some problem in the distributed Zip? I would think that would be less likely since I’ve tested it multiple times on my iPad M1 Pro without any crashes. It seemed to zip and upload fine to dropbox.

If you get a chance, please let me know if the CraftSpace project also doesn’t work for you. It is 1/3 the size of the SeaBottm project and is available for download both through the dropbox link and now on @Steppers WebRepo.

@dave1707, I looked up iPad Air 3 = 3GB RAM
IPad M1 Pro = 8GB RAM. Might be a RAM memory issue causing the crash :frowning:

Hopefully, the smaller CraftSpace project will work for you. :slight_smile:

PS, @dave1707, I also believe I read that Apple only allows any one app to use a maximum of half of the available RAM when running.

@SugarRay I was able to load and run the CraftSpace one OK.

Yeah! Suspect then might be a memory issue with the difficulty in the larger project crashing. Thanks again for your work in writing the 3D FPS code to allow these projects to come to fruition.

@SugarRay Yeah, if it is an issue with RAM limits then a note in the description to highlight it will be fine. I wouldn’t stop someone submitting something to WebRepo for an issue like that if it works on some devices at least. The main aim of WebRepo is to freely share projects after all so I’m not going to hinder that :smile:

Makes sense and sounds good, thanks!

@SugarRay You should be good to go on the larger projects now (v2.3.1)!

If you’re submitting a pretty large project it will probably take a while so bear with it and keep Codea open or the upload will time out.

I’ve added both CraftSpaceX and CraftSeaBottmX to WebRepo so far :smile:

Thanks so much, @Steppers!

Do I need to somehow add the warning on the ‘CraftSeaBottX’ project that may crash on iPhone or iPad’s with more limited memory (works on iPad Pro M1)?

Unfortunately, something weird happened since I did my CraftSpaceX upload last week— WebRepo now crashes every time I open it. I didn’t think I did anything to WebRepo, so to be sure, download WeRepo again and unzipped it and ran it and same bug (see screenshot). My other Codea projects still work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

@SugarRay Ah, my apologies for that! Good news is I have a fix though!

Please delete the webrepocache_vfs folder from Codea’s projects folder (using the files app) then you should be good to go with Version 2.3.1.

For everyone else, the update from 2.1.6 → 2.3.1 should also be fixed now so hopefully nobody else runs into this.

@SugarRay As for the warning I can add that for you :smile:

@SugarRay Both of these projects can work. The first one needs to wait a little longer. Don’t click on the screen while you wait, or it will cause crash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmhctk6uldo2ufv/CraftSeaBottmX.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k7gd8wh615bcxf/CraftSpaceX.zip?dl=0

Thanks, @Steppers! After deleting that file, WebRepo loads fine again.
However, when I try to update it, I get a crash from a different error (screenshot attached)

@binaryblues, thanks for the tip that the larger SeaBottmX can work if users not click on the screen before crash. Will cc: @dave1707 in case he hasn’t tried that

Have a good weekend, Everyone :slight_smile:

@SugarRay It didn’t matter. I waited several minutes after it loaded and it still crashed when I tried to run it.

Sorry, @dave1707, thanks for trying again. I was hopeful.

@Steppers— forgot to reply that, yes, would appreciate it if you could add a warning regarding may crash with lower memory iPads/iPhones as still crashing when dave1707 tried to run it on his machine.