Editor annoyance and bug...

Hiya,

I’m not sure if this has been reported before, couldn’t see anything from a quick search…

I have been noodling with Codea for a few weeks and it is just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on, but I have encountered the following:

The feature in the editor where clicking on a number initiates a touch/drag event that allows you to ‘auto-[increment|decrement]’ the value I find incredibly annoying, as I cannot use the standard magnifying cursor placement to drop the editing I-bar where I want it. Pleeeease can you make this a settings item at some point, it drives me into paroxysms of gnawing-my-own-limbs-off frustration…

I also fairly regularly encounter a bug where the edit point in the text file gets confused and any new input appears in a different place to the insert point… I don’t know if I’ve explained that clearly, but sometimes the flashing edit point is in the middle of a word, but typing or deleting acts on the beginning of the line…that’s just one example…

I cannot pin down exactly when it happens but it seems related to 1) use of the auto-increment feature, then repositioning edit point and 2) if you open the help pane with the eye icon, then go back to editing, that can seem to throw it off…

Still love it though ;))))

Brookesi

Those issues have been reported many times. So far the result has been to just put up with it. I can say myself that on several occasions when I try to edit something, I inadvertently change the value of a number then I wonder why the program doesn’t work right. Also, I’ll have to rotate the iPad from portrait (my editing orientation) to landscape to edit a line that turns out too long for portrait mode. You’ll get used to it. You haven’t mentioned anything about the constant crashes of Codea yet.

The number click drag is annoying. I normally first press on some ordinary text to get Codea into editing mode, then press on the number I want, and usually Codea will select the whole number automatically.

Wrt the selection point jumping around, it most often happens when your line of code wraps itself, and at about 1 and 1/2 lines, the selection point goes nuts. So I usually break my long lines up so they don’t get this long.

Occasionally it happens on short lines, then I just select a different tab or go out of the project and back in, and that resets the selection point.

See https://bitbucket.org/TwoLivesLeft/core/issue/23/please-allow-turning-off-number-editing

Note that Simeon says that if this is still annoying then a new issue should be opened. I couldn’t find a newer one (didn’t look hard) so if there is still a feeling that this should at least be optional (I would support this) then a new issue should be opened on the tracker.

I will open a new issue. I find Codea very stable and haven’t had it crash on me yet