Easing the pain of manually transferring projects

Would Apple be upset if you added a feature where the user could click a button, and it would put your entire project in one place, where it could easily be copied [with a specific string of characters to delineate which tab it came from]? And a complimentary function that would take such input and spread it out to the requisite tabs?

Currently, needs the current version of the code so that they can move forward with the class (they were day dreaming, didn’t come yesterday, didn’t have Codea installed on their personal iPad, etc), I must jump through a few hoops to fix things:

1. copy paste every tab into a pastebin, with “----- filename” indicating which tab it came from
  2. have them go to the pastebin, copy the raw text into a new project
  3. split it up into appropriately named files

This is particularly painful since many children’s iPads have problems recognizing our wifi signal… the result is that we often have >30 minutes of downtime in a 3 hour class period.

Anything to make transferring projects less painful than this would be appreciated profoundly!!

What about jailbreaking?

Would Apple be upset if you added a feature where the user could click a button, and it would put your entire project in one place, where it could easily be copied [with a specific string of characters to delineate which tab it came from]?

Yes. They did. Search the forums for the .codea file format and you’ll see the discussions.

Do you have access to a computer?

Hi @SciQuest, It is much easier to copy entire projects if you go to the project picker, hold your finger over the project until the duplicate/delete/copy menu appears. If you select copy it copies the entire project (minus the dependencies) with each tab preceded by a --# ClassName. E.g.

--# Greeting
Greeting = class()

function Greeting:init()
    self.text = "HELLO!"
end

function Greeting:draw()
    fill(0)
    fontSize(100)
    text(self.text, WIDTH / 2, HEIGHT / 2)
end

--# Main
function setup()
    print("Hello World")
    greeting = Greeting()
end

function draw()
    background(255)
    greeting:draw()
end

Some of the kids are on their own iPads, some use ours. Jailbreaking isn’t really an option.

We do however have computers. What do you suggest Andrew_Stacey?

I’ll look into that Jordan, thank you.

If you have either Mac or Linux then you can use libimobiledevice to access the Documents directory of Codea directly when the iPad is connected to the computer via USB. Then you can copy the files across. No jailbreaking required for this, and libimobiledevice is free software.

.@SciQuest: Other options are:

• iExplorer from Macroplant. This costs $31.04 (US$31.49) but there is a free trial version which will get the job done.

• iFunBox which is free (thanks to @Keebo for this suggestion).

With iFunbox you must have itune installed on the PC.

No luck so far on convincing my boss to let me install Linux on the lab computers, but my raspberry pi should be coming here in a few weeks. Do you think that would work?

i think iexplorer also works on windows, but you have to copy the files to and from the ipad with their gui. i use phone disk on windows, so i can directly access and alter the lua files on the ipad with my notepad++, as phone disks gives you a windows drive with the codea app directory inside. then i use beyond compare to sync the sources between pc and ipad and finally the sources are in SVN on my pc… with that I have found the workflow I can work with very well :slight_smile:

No idea if it would work with a Raspberry Pi, but for sheer class it’s got to be worth trying.

I’m using Diskaid on windows http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid - it works well enough.

Truth be told - all of the windows stuff is quirky at best.

With jailbreak - ssh (and rsync) works very well. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware of the “copy whole project” shortcut. Is the flipside available (ie. some way to paste that content in that re-creates the tabs?)