Cider, TextField - How can I make a TextField "read only"?

Hi,

I’m using a TextField and I’d like to make it “read only”, without a blinking cursor.

How can I do it?

Thanks,

Pedro

@pvchagas, keep any cider related questions on the cider 7 discussion found HERE Instead of spamming the home page full of questions about marks ui designer

“Spamming”? My questions are about Codea, and I think they can be useful to other people that are starting to use this app. Anyway, the subject is clearly stated to avoid confusion, so just ignore my posts. Thanks.

@pvchagas We use the term “spamming” in this case as posting multiple discussions about generally the same topic.

Cider isn’t a part of Codea, it’s a UIKit made by @Mark. If you have any problems with it, please PM Mark instead of posting a whole discussion about it.

Also, I would like to mentioned that a read-only textbox is essentially a square with text in it, which can be achieved with rect() and text().

You guys should be welcoming and helping newbies instead of bullying them. Traffic isn’t so high in this forum that it requires members giving directions about what threads other members should post on. I’m sorry to bother all the members with my comments, but I find this kind of pressure unacceptable, since I was objective and short in my questions, and I got answers that helped me a lot. This is what these forums are for, to help people solve their problems. I’m going to keep on asking for help in this forum until someone kicks me out.

@pvchagas We’re not “bullying” you, it’s just that a kind of unspoken rule is that you don’t post lots of discussions on the same topic rather than keeping them in one thread.

I recommend either private messaging Mark for any questions about Cider, or just keeping all your questions on the topic in one thread.

And, as I said, what you want to do can be achieved with rect() and text().

@SkyTheCoder, while I mostly agree with you, bullying is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think that if he feels like he is being bullied, something needs to change.

@pvchagas, most of the regular forum members stick to these kinds of ‘rules’ because we did have a spamming problem not too long ago, and we like to keep the forums clean.

Sky has answered your query (you can just use rect() and text(), but if you need more help it would be appreciated if you posted in the Cider discussion. This not only keeps the forums clean, but it will also make it easier for anyone else looking for help with Cider-related stuff like this to find said help.

@pvchagas,

"You guys should be welcoming and helping newbies instead of bullying them. Traffic isn't so high in this forum that it requires members giving directions about what threads other members should post on. I'm sorry to bother all the members with my comments, but I find this kind of pressure unacceptable, since I was objective and short in my questions, and I got answers that helped me a lot. This is what these forums are for, to help people solve their problems. I'm going to keep on asking for help in this forum until someone kicks me out."

1.   What do you mean by bullying new members, we are asking you nicely to just keep all questions in one thread like e.g. Cider questions. And, if you have a question for someone about cider, use the '@' symbol and thier username next to it e.g. @kirorp. 
2.   I don't understand what you mean by pressure and us being unacceptable, we only ask that you keep all cider questions in one thread.
3.   YES! Ask as many questions as you like!, we arnt going to flag you down for asking questions but if they are about one topic just keep them in one thread
4.   Spamming ( in the codea forum ) means A lot of. Like a lot of discussions. Say, 20 a day. That's spamming
5.   Don't ask and proclaim to everyone that you want to be kicked out, people get the wrong impression.
~~~cunt
We as a forum are welcoming and don't want to start a confrontation with anyone. No-one may have said this before but welcome to the forums :D. No seriously, we enjoy new members coming and helping them out, you may have had a bad start on the forum but we are going to help you out best we can

@pvchagas If you remove the touched function call for a specific TextField from the main touched function, you’ll no longer be able to select it. However you can still change the contents by setting the .text property.

Does that help?

1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm